My research focus on several domains enumerated below. Its results can be found in my papers.
- Complex networks, especially social networks and social network analysis (SNA).
The main, recent research areas in the domain of SN include:
- Spread of influence in complex networks, especially in temporal ones
- Models for temporal networks
- Analysis of multilayer social networks; their extraction; measures in multilayer SNs; clustering and prediction of groups, etc.
- Classification in social networks, collective classification
- Sentiment and emotion analysis
- Social networks in evaluation of organizational structures
- Application of social network analysis in marketing, telecommunication, latent knowledge acquisition, and analysis of criminal networks
Past conferences, workshops schools and special issues organized by us: ENIC 2016, NetSci X 2016, ENIC 2015, The Symposium NetONets 2015, BDML 2015, ENIC 2014, Wrocław, MLSMA'2014, Wrocław, The Symposium on Multiple Network Modeling, Analysis and Mining at NetSci 2013, Copenhagen and NetSci 2014, Berkeley, a special issue in Scientific Programming, CSNA 2012 and SNAA 2012 at ASONAM 2012, Istanbul, a special issue of Journal of Universal Computer Science (JUCS), SNAA 2011 at ASONAM 2011, Kaohsiung.
In this area we co-operate with some companies: brand24, KGHM, British Telecom, Orange, Intelligent Systems Research Centre (ISRC), Research & Engineering Center REC and Telnet. In the past also within The European Network of Excellence Nature-inspired Smart Information Systems.
- Machine learning for complex networks, relational machine learning, reasoning for linguistic and social networks, collective classification.
- Prediction of future research domains taht will develop the most in the nearest future.
- Multiple model systems and hybrid prediction (classification), multi-label classification, especially for complex structures in output (structured output prediction), e.g. sequences, graphs.
Together with Edwin Lughofer and Bogdan Trawiński as well as previously with Oscar Cordón, we organize a series of special sessions and special issues of journals: a special issue in Soft Computing (Springer), MMAML 2013 at ACIIDS 2013, Kuala Lumpur, a special issue in Journal of Universal Computer Science (JUCS), MMAML 2012 at ACIIDS 2012, Kaohshiung, MMAML 2011 at ACIIDS 2012, Daegu, a special issue in International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, MMAML 2010 at , Special Session on Multiple Model Approach to Machine Learning, at ACIIDS 2010, Hue City, a special issue in New Generation Computing.
My former interest domains; recently not explored intensively:
- Data analyses for medical data, see TRANSFoRm - Translational Research and Patient Safety in Europe.
- Web-based recommender systems
- Project ROSA (Remote Open Site Agents) - web recommender system - the part of the general concept of "adaptive web sites". The prototype not maintained any more.
- The extension of ROSA was AdROSA - the system for personalized web adversiting (banners).
- WindOwls - prototype e-commerce on windsurfing, in which 5 recommendation methods were integrated in the personalized and adaptive way; implemented by Paweł Kołodziejski.
- The International Workshop on Recommender Agents and Adaptive Web-based Systems - RAAWS 2005. A special issue International Journal of Computer Science & Applications, Vol. 3 Issue 3, 2006.
- RAAWS 2006 at KES 2006, a special issue of New Generation Computing.
- Data mining in the web environment - web mining; association rules mining, especially negative ones.
- Databases for simple devices - modular databases.
- Aplications and the future of languages derivered from XML.
- Data security: electronic signature and intrusion detection systems.
- Content management systems (CMS).
- Information Retrieval in the Internet environment.